Gratitude is one of the most powerful ways to create happiness for yourself and others. Yet we take so much for granted and often forget to express gratitude for the blessings we already have, focusing instead on what we don’t have or what we’d like to have some time in the future.
“Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.”
― Eckhart Tolle, A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose*
When you consciously cultivate gratitude in your life you are opening the doors to receiving the infinite gifts of the universe and encouraging others to do the same.
What is Gratitude?
Gratitude is an energy, a feeling, an attitude and an emotion.
There are 4 states of gratitude:
- Loving gratitude – genuine heartfelt appreciation.
- Polite Gratitude – expression without feeling.
- No gratitude – lack of recognition of a reason for gratitude.
- Ingratitude – when you are ungrateful for what you have.
The only state of gratitude that has the power to make a positive difference in your life is number 1 – loving gratitude.
Why Gratitude Makes a Difference
Here are 10 reasons why gratitude can make a difference in your life and the lives of others.
- Gratitude powers the Universal Cycle of Abundance.
Giving and receiving comprise the universal cycle of abundance. If you receive without feeling gratitude, you break the cycle and close the door to receiving abundance.
- Gratitude raises your vibrational frequency.
Your vibrational frequency determines what you create in your life. When you have a high vibrational frequency, you create positive outcomes. When you have a low vibrational frequency you create negative outcomes.
- Gratitude attracts more giving.
When you are genuinely grateful for receiving a gift, it acts as a catalyst for more giving. If you aren’t grateful for what you’ve received you are unlikely to get more. This applies to gifts from people and from the universe.
- Gratitude makes you nice to be around.
Ungrateful people tend to be complainers with a victim mentality and a low vibrational frequency. Positive people don’t resonate with them. They attract other complainers who can share their perceived misfortunes.
- Gratitude is an expression of abundance consciousness.
You can’t manifest abundance if you don’t feel abundant and gratitude is an expression of abundance because it reinforces your acknowledgement of the abundance you have.
- Gratitude is a state of appreciation and appreciation also means ‘increase in value’.
When you appreciate the resources you have now, you’ll find that they will last longer, go further and do much more for you.
- Gratitude brings joy to others.
When you express heartfelt gratitude to someone, you transmit love energy from your heart chakra which makes the person receiving it feel great. They transmit their positive energy back to you to increase your good feelings and so you’re actively expanding the energy of love in the universe.
- Gratitude anchors you in the present moment.
Being grateful in the present moment is the key to happiness because you are appreciating what you have NOW, rather than wishing for something you had in the past or hope for in the future.
- Gratitude keeps you positive.
Being grateful for all of life’s experiences, even those that may at first seem negative will enable you to keep a positive attitude even when things are tough. Everything happens for a good reason and when we accept situations rather than resist them we discover the hidden blessings.
- Gratitude brings magic into your life.
When you slow down, raise your awareness and consciously look for things to be grateful for you’ll discover a world filled with magic and miracles and realize how lucky you are!
3 Ways to Show Gratitude
If you want to express gratitude to a person you don’t have to be in their presence to do it.
Thoughts are energy and just thinking grateful thoughts will transmit the energy of loving gratitude to your target.
Give thankful thoughts to the Universe/Source/Spirit/Divine when things happen or come to you.
Say a heartfelt thank you to express your gratitude whenever someone does something nice or helpful for you.
Thank them in person, call them on the phone, send them an email, post a thank you on their Facebook page – there are multiple ways you can express your gratitude in words.
Say a prayer of gratitude to the Universe/Source/Spirit/Divine for whatever you’re thankful for.
Express your gratitude in action.
- Return a favor.
- Give someone a referral.
- Pay it forward by doing a good deed for someone else.
- Give them a hug.
- Give a gift – a bunch of flowers, a box of chocolates or something you know they’ll love.
- Give money – yes, paying someone is an expression of appreciation, even if it’s for something as mundane as a utility bill!
Gratitude is your direct route to love, joy, peace and abundance and you’ll help others to experience it too when they receive your gratitude. The more you feel grateful for everything you have now, the more you’ll feel joyful and at peace, you’ll attract abundance and LOVE your life.
*This link is an affiliate link which means if you purchase this book I will receive a small commission. I only recommend items I personally like and trust.
Latest posts by Jan Shaw (see all)
- If You Need to Overcome Procrastination You Must Read This - December 1, 2022
- What is Self-Actualization and How Do You Achieve It? - November 25, 2022
- 10 Compelling Reasons Why Gratitude Makes a Difference - November 23, 2022